At this point I was able to take everything home and work on it on my couch, because assembling the whole thing had to be done by hand. I sat on the couch and sewed and watched episodes of Hoarders. My pictures also aren’t as good at this point because the lighting isn’t nearly as good as it in in my studio.
First I closed up the opening by hand. Then I “couched” some fuzzy black fiber to the rim of the opening to the inside. Couching is basically just stitching a fiber to the outside of a piece of fabric. This turned out good. It was the same fiber that was on the top of the birds head, for symmetry. You can see how the inside of the birdhouse is pretty clean in this picture too.
Next, I hand stitched on the legs. They are so cute! Here she is with no head!
I added the head and feather sections, and added a small hanging loop behind her head.
At this point she was almost done! One last thing I had promised is that she would have three eggs inside her. I went back to the studio and had a really hard time figuring out how to make a fabric egg.
This wasn’t an egg! It was a football!! That wasn’t what I wanted at all. I tried a whole bunch of minor adjustments before I finally came back to my original pattern and figure out I just wasn’t stuffing it full enough. Oops!
And that’s pretty much it! I’ll post some pictures of it “on location” soon!